CONSIDER A CAREER IN AGRICULTURE AS A NEXT GENERATION FARMER!
Our nation is in need of new farmers to feed and keep people healthy, steward land and natural resources, and build stronger regional food economies. Whether you have just graduated from high school or are changing careers in mid-life, or are a veteran, consider becoming a farmer.
Through Riverside’s NextGen Farmer Training Program, participants will learn everything about the art, science, and business of farming, with opportunities to own and operate their own farms, work outdoors, and provide locally grown products to the community. The program provides comprehensive training and mentorship over multiple years to assist new and beginning farmers become successful. Read more...
- Arnott Farms | 9151 Greenspot Road, Mentone | arnottfarms.com | email@example.com | (909) 389-9600 | Monday - Saturday • 7 am - 5:30 pm | Oranges, eggs, nuts, honey and avocados in season.
- Drake Family Farms | 7255 Schaefer Avenue, Ontario | drakefamilyfarms.com | firstname.lastname@example.org | (909) 548-4628 | Goat cheese. Sold at the Downtown Riverside Farmers Market and on the website.
- Fox Farm | 3636 Rosewood Place, Riverside | berndtsplants.blogspot.com | Scott Berndt | email@example.com | (951) 452-6840 | Urban Farm: fruit, vegetables and eggs.
- Gless Ranch | 18541 Van Buren Boulevard, Riverside | firstname.lastname@example.org | (951) 653-5991
- Gold Nugget Ranch | 1775 Jackson Street, Riverside | Paul and Cathy Wahlstrom | Cdwgnr97@gmail.com | (951) 347-6650 | Feb - May, gold nugget mandarins, clementine and fancy.
- Jongs Egg Ranch | David Smith | David@jongs.com | (909) 809-2247 | Locally produced fresh chicken eggs, quail eggs, and organic fertilizers. Not open to the public.
- Medina Farm | 10480 Dufferin Avenue, Riverside | Cridge123@me.com | (951) 588-8384
- The Grove | Facebook: The-Grove-Organic-Family-Farm | Deborah Ghamlouch | email@example.com | (626) 786-4068 | Citrus, avocados, honey from local bees, compost. Sells to grocery stores, restaurants, farmers' markets.
- Gaytan Family Farm | Facebook: Gaytan Family Farm | (951) 660-5645 | Sells at farmers’ markets.
- Macala Orchards | 160 W. Foothill Parkway #105-150, Corona | macalacompanies.com | Nina Morton | (951) 898-8384 | Pomegranates, olives, fruit, herbs, Olive oil, tea, jams and jellies. Available at some local retailers and online. Open for special events, see Facebook for more information.
- Rainbow Fresh Sales | 2650 Gratton Street, Riverside | (951) 977-8015 | Large variety of mushrooms.
- Ridgedale Orchard and Vineyard | 21145 Ridgedale Drive, Lake Mathews, CA 92570 | ridgedaleorchard.com | MikeandKaren@RidgedaleOrchard.com | (909) 393-2726
Temecula Olive Oil Company | temeculaoliveoil.com | (866) 654-8396 | Tasting rooms open daily, see website for locations. Ranch tours 2nd and 4th Saturdays. Special events, cooking classes, farm dinners | thefarmproject.com/blog/extra-virgin-olive-oil
COTTAGE FOOD BUSINESS INFORMATION | Cottage Food Operations | Riverside County Department of Environmental Health | (888) 722-4234
- 123 Farm Organics | 10600 Highland Springs Avenue, Beaumont 92223 | shop.123farm.com | (951) 845-1151 | Essential oils, candles, lotions, tea, herbs, honey, olive oil, lavender products, online or shop at the ranch.
- Bee Rooted Honeybees and Botanicals | Facebook: Bee Rooted Bees | firstname.lastname@example.org | (909) 660-3072 | Sustainable honey and soap, also classes, children’s presentations and consultation services.
- Etta Mae Gourmet | P.O. Box 344, Riverside, CA 92502 | Laurie Anderson | email@example.com | (951) 662-4999 | Local food artisan makes homemade jams, jellies.
- Hunneedees Baking | Deana Arellano | Hunneedee@gmail.com | (951) 295-3070 | Kids baking parties and education in the science of baking and food safety. Baking for weddings, dessert tables.
- The Juniper Jammery | P.O. Box 1387, Riverside, CA 92502 | Ann M. Richmond | firstname.lastname@example.org | (951) 202-8987 | Jams with no sugars or preservatives, Jojoba skin care and soap.
- Goat Rodeo Soap | Facebook: Goat Rodeo Soap | Janice Lake | email@example.com | (626) 826-3204 | Sold at downtown Riverside farmers’ market. All natural handcrafted soap from goat milk.
- Happy Hawk Farm | Isela Robles | firstname.lastname@example.org | (951) 660-1750 | Organic micro-greens. Sold at downtown Riverside farmers’ market.
- My Goodness | Curtis Cruz | (951) 333-9947 | High quality artisan bread delivered to Riverside only. Order on Facebook: My Goodness or text by Sunday for delivery on Thursday.
- Pasturebird Poultry | pasturebird.com | email@example.com | (855) 4-PASTURE | Chicken, sausages and stock shipped frozen.
- Primal Pastures | primalpastures.com | firstname.lastname@example.org | (951) 297-9933 | Pasture raised meat, tours, classes.
- Ridgedale Orchard and Vineyard | 21145 Ridgedale Drive, Lake Mathews, CA 92570 | ridgedaleorchard.com | MikeandKaren@RidgedaleOrchard.com | (909) 393-2726
- Rosemary Farms Eggs | 5225 Canyon Crest Drive #17a, Riverside, CA | primalpastures.com | (951) 369-1869 | Sold at Jammin’ Bread Bakery.
- Take Heart Farm | takeheartfarm.com | Handspun wool yarn and knitted caps and scarves. Sold through Wildknits on Etsy.
- Temecula Valley Honey Company | temeculavalleyhoneycompany.com | email@example.com | (951) 533-6032 | Honey, honeycomb and bee pollen.
CALLING ALL FARMERS: SELL TO THE FOOD HUB
The Food Hub of Riverside Unified School District is looking to purchase fresh, locally grown fruits and vegetables. Using RUSD’s existing infrastructure, the food hub provides marketing and distribution support for local farmers and anticipates purchasing more than $1 million of locally grown produce over the next few years. Contact Scott Berndt at (951) 452-6840 to become a vendor.
"Businesses want their city to support entrepreneurial activities and provide resources that will help local businesses thrive. Riverside does."
City of Riverside Office of Economic Development | 3900 Main Street, Riverside, 92522 | Joyce Jong | firstname.lastname@example.org | (951) 826-5265 | Help finding greenbelt farmland, local loans for irrigation, GrowRIVERSIDE, and local ag.
- Cornell Small Farms Program | smallfarms.cornell.edu | Information and assistance in all aspect of farming including startups.
- Citrus Psyllid Coordinator for Riverside County | Alan A. Washburn | email@example.com | (951) 683-2392 | Pick Pack-Pest control, entomology, expertise in citrus.
- Blue Banner Company Inc. | (951) 682-6183 | Citrus packing.
- Corona College Heights Orange and Lemon Association (CCH) | (951) 688-1811 | Citrus packing.
- Index Fresh | indexfresh.com | (909) 877-0999 | Avocado packing, distribution, Educational seminars.
- Joel Garcia | (909) 376-0494 | Orchard care.
- Richard Zapien | (714) 865-5364 | Farm consultant.
- R.I.T. Grove Management | Roy I. Takeno | (951) 313-3099
USDA FARM SERVICE AGENCY
- Riverside County | 81-077 Indio Boulevard, Indio, CA 92201 | fsa.usda.gov/index | Desiree Houston, (760) 347-3675 Ext. 2
- San Bernardino County | 44811 Date Avenue, Lancaster CA 93534 | fsa.usda.gov/index | Rebecca Garcia | (661) 945-3142
- American AgCredit | AgLoan.com | (800) 800-4865, (909) 947-2371
- Accion | us.accion.org | (619) 795-7250
- SlowMoney Southern California | slowmoney.org/local-groups/slow-money-southerncalifornia
SMALL BUSINESS RESOURCES
- Beginning Farmers Farm Business Planning | Developing a Farm Business Plan
- Inland Empire Small Business Development Center | iesmallbusiness.com | (951) 781-2345
- Inland Empire Women’s Business Center | iewbc.org | (909) 890-1242
- Inland Empire Business Counseling and Consulting Service (SCORE) | inlandempire.score.org | (951) 652-4350 | SCORE is a nonprofit dedicated to educating entrepreneurs and helping small businesses start, grow, and succeed: resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration. Free counseling, information.
- Small Business Administration (SBA) | Santa Ana District Office | sba.gov/offices/district/ca/santa-ana | (714) 550-7420
- CA Citrus Threat | californiacitrusthreat.org | (800) 491-1899
- CA Department of Pesticide Regulations | cdpr.ca.gov
- CA Agritourism | sfp.ucdavis.edu/agritourism | Penny Leff | firstname.lastname@example.org | (530) 752-7779
- Marketing Regional Farms and Wineries | sfp.ucdavis.edu/files/224898.pdf
- California Small Farm Conference | P.O. Box 72014, Davis 95617 | californiafarmconference.com | (707) 631-5029
- California Farm to Fork | cafarmtofork.com | Regional and seasonal foods, features local efforts, resources and a blog.
- California Farmer Marketplace | cafarmermarketplace.com | A free statewide website featuring California produce, grains, meats and other products for sale. Register as a grower or a buyer.
- Citrograph | citrusresearch.org/citrograph
- Citrus Research Board | citrusresearch.org | (559) 738-0246
- City Farmer News | cityfarmer.info
- Cornell Small Farms Program | smallfarms.cornell.edu | Information and assistance in all aspects of farming including startups.
- FarmsReach | farmsreach.com | Helps small farmers to find suppliers and network with each other.
- National Young Farmers Coalition | youngfarmers.org
- The Produce News | theproducenews.com
- Riverside County Ag Trail | agtrail.rivcoca.org
- Riverside County Agricultural Commissioner’s Office | 4080 Lemon Street Room 19, Basement, P.O. Box 1089, Riverside 92502-1089 | rivcoag.org | email@example.com | (951) 955-3000 | Ag permits, certifications, licenses, and administers county agricultural ordinances.
- Riverside County Economic Development Agency | rivcoeda.org | (951) 955-8916
- UC Riverside, Avocado Information | ucavo.ucr.edu
- UC Riverside Ag Operations | agops.ucr.edu | Dr. Peggy A. Mauk, Director | (951) 827-5906 (Main), (951) 827-4274 (Direct) | Citrus Field Day, Avocado Day.
- UC Riverside, Citrus Variety Collection | citrusvariety.ucr.edu | Tracy Kahn PhD, Kahn@citrus.ucr.edu | (951) 827-7360
- UC ANR Urban Agriculture Resources | ucanr.edu/sites/UrbanAg
- UC Agriculture and Natural Resources Catalogue | (800) 994-8849, anrcatalog.ucanr.edu
- UC Integrated Pest Management Online |ipm.ucdavis.edu
- UC Small Farm Program | sfp.ucdavis.edu
- UC Vegetable Research and Information Center | Vric.ucdavis.edu | firstname.lastname@example.org | Fosters appropriate research, collect and disseminate information for consumers, growers and processors in the California vegetable industry.
- USDA’s Research, Education, and Economics (REE) | ree.usda.gov | Resources from four agencies: the Agricultural Research Service (ARS), the Economic Research Service (ERS), the National Agriculture Statistical Service (NASS), and the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA).
UC COOPERATIVE EXTENSION | Resources for research-based education in agriculture, 4-H youth development, nutrition and Master Gardener programs.
- Riverside County | 21150 Box Springs Road, Moreno Valley 92557 | ceriverside.ucanr.edu/ ucanr.edu | ceriverside.ucanr.edu | email@example.com | (951) 683-6491
- Etaferahu (Eta) Takele, Farm Management Economics | firstname.lastname@example.org | (951) 683-6491
- San Bernardino County | 777 East Rialto Avenue, San Bernardino 92415-0730 | cesanbernardino.ucanr.edu | email@example.com | (909) 387-2182
- Janet Hartin, Environmental Horticulture Advisor | firstname.lastname@example.org | (951) 313-2023
- Cooperative Extension Advisors
- Jose Aguiar, Vegetable crops and small farms | email@example.com | (760) 342-2467
- Carmen Gispert, Grapes | firstname.lastname@example.org | (760) 342-2466
- Sonia Rios, Subtropical Horticulture | email@example.com | (951) 683-6491 Ext. 224
- Claudia Carrasco Diaz: 4-H | firstname.lastname@example.org | (951) 683-6491 Ext. 222
- Rosas Olaiz, Master Gardener Program | email@example.com | (951) 683-6491 Ext. 230
- Chutima Ganthavorn: Nutrition Advisor | firstname.lastname@example.org | (951) 683-6491 Ext. 223
- Michael Rethwisch, Field and Forage Crops | email@example.com | (760) 921-5064
Farm Bureau An independent, non-governmental, membership organization governed by and representing farm and ranch families for the purpose of achieving educational improvement, economic opportunity, and social advancement.
- Riverside County | 21160 Box Springs Road, Suite #102, Moreno Valley 92557 | riversidecfb.com | President@RiversideCFB.com | (951) 684-6732
- San Bernadino County | P.O. Box 10668, San Bernardino 92423 | sbfarmbureau.com | (909) 875-5945
- California’s Soil App | casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/soilweb-apps
- Soil Health | soilhealth.com
- USDA Soil Survey | websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov
- Living Soil Documentary | livingsoilfilm.com
California Department of Conservation | Division of Land Resource Protection Protect your local foodshed We use agricultural easements to permanently protect farmland from development. Learn about our programs: Agricultural Land Mitigation & Sustainable Agricultural Lands Conservation. www.conservation.ca.gov
USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) | The NRCS field offices assist farmers with onsite technical assistance to help conserve natural resources. Request information about on-farm erosion control, irrigation, and other conservation practices. The Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) offers financial and technical assistance to agricultural producers to improve soil, water, plant, animal, air and related natural resources on agricultural land. For example, cost sharing for conversion to low volume irrigation systems.
- Western Riverside County NRCS | Robert S. Hewitt, District Conservationist | 950 Ramona Boulevard Suite 6, San Jacinto, CA 92582 | (951) 654-7139
- Western San Bernardino County NRCS | Tomas Aguilar-Campos, District Conservationist | 25864 Business Center Drive Suite K, Redlands, CA 92374 | (909) 283-7782
- EQIP Program | nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/site/ca/home
- Organic Farming | www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/national/landuse/crops/organic
- National Organics Program (NOP) | www.ams.usda.gov/about-ams/programs-offices/nationalorganic-program
- Riverside-Corona Resource Conservation District (RCRCD) | 4500 Glenwood Drive Building A, Riverside, CA 92501 | rcrcd.org | (951) 683-7691 | Shelli Lamb, Ext. 202 | firstname.lastname@example.org | Farmland and habitat preservation and restoration. Visit the LandUse Learning Center to learn about sustainable agriculture, native habitats, and urban areas. Pick up plant lists for climate appropriate crops. Open Daily: 8 am - 4 pm (closed holidays)
- Inland Empire Resource Conservation District | 25864-K Business Center Drive, Redlands 92374 | iercd.org | (909) 799-7407 | Free soil testing for farmers, invasive species removal, urban ag support, conservation grants.
- San Jacinto Basin Resource Conservation District | 950 N. Ramona Blvd Suite 6, San Jacinto 92582 | sjbrcd.org | (951) 654-7733 | Environmental education, public outreach, soil and water conservation, habitat restoration, wildlife and habitat preservation.
- Temecula-Elsinore-Anza-Murrieta Resource Conservation District | P.O. Box 2078, Temecula 92593 | teamrcd.org | (951) 387-8992 | Free irrigation system evaluations, crop conversion assistance.
- Conservation Training Webinars | conservationwebinars.net
- Friends of Riverside's Hills | FriendsofRiversidesHills.org | A 501(c)(3) nonprofit public benefit corporation supporting wildlands preservation in Riverside.
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (NSAC) | sustainableagriculture.net | NSAC advocates for federal policy reform for the sustainability of food systems, natural resources, and rural communities.
- Pollinator Resource Center | xerces.org/pollinator-resource-center
- Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education | sare.org
- UC Sustainable Ag Research and Ed Program | asi.ucdavis.edu/programs/sarep
- Organic Farmers | 2155 Delaware Avenue Suite 160, Santa Cruz 95060 | ccof.org | email@example.com | (831) 423-2263 | A non-profit organic certifier and trade association that has become a leader in the organic industry.
- Rivers and Land Conservancy | 4075 Mission Inn Avenue, Riverside, CA 92501 | riversandlands.org | Jack Easton | (951) 788-0670 | Land preservation through fee acquisition and conservation easements.
- Citizens United for Resources and the Environment, Inc. (CURE) | curegroup.org | Malissa Hathaway McKeith, Attorney | (213) 300-3550
- American Farmland Trust | farmland.org | (916) 448-1064