Kaiser Permanente Southern California | Wealth of information about programs and opportunities to promote healthier lifestyles and communities. Kaiser Permanente is a generous sponsor of RFSA, GrowRIVERSIDE, and HEAL Zone.
Eastside HEALZone | healthyriversidecounty.org | The Eastside neighborhood in the City of Riverside is one of seventeen Healthy Eating, Active Living (HEAL) Zones funded by Kaiser Permanente to make healthy choices more accessible in underserved communities.
- First 5 - Nutrition and Physical Activity Self Assessment for Child Care (NAP SACC) | (951) 358-5311 | NAP SACC is an obesity prevention program that helps child care facilities improve their nutrition and physical activity programs.
- Harvest of the Month | Highlights a variety of seasonal produce items grown in California, featuring free newsletters that include gardening, cooking, science, reading, and other topics.
- Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention (NEOP) | NEOP is part of the statewide “Champions for Change” campaign focused in low-income communities to create environments that support fruit and vegetable consumption and physical activity.
- Nutrition and Health Promotion and the Riverside County Nutrition Action Plan (CNAP) | (951) 358-5311 | Help build healthier and more physically active communities in Riverside County.
- Riverside County Health Coalition | A collaborative committed to policy development and advocacy, environmental change, and community empowerment for healthy lifestyles.
- Women, Infants & Children (WIC) | (800) 455-4942 | Helps pregnant women, new mothers and young children eat well, stay healthy and be active with peer support, nutrition education and coupons for healthy foods.
Riverside Garden Council and Community Gardens | Riversidegardencouncil.org | Facebook: Riverside Garden Council
- Arlanza Community Garden | 8700 Cypress Avenue (at Challen Avenue), Riverside | firstname.lastname@example.org | (951) 732-7509
- Eastside Community Garden | 4660 Ottawa Avenue (behind Emerson Elementary School), Riverside | email@example.com | (951) 212-7229
- Community Settlement Association | 4366 Bermuda Avenue, Riverside | (951) 686-6266
- RCC Community Garden | 4800 Magnolia Avenue (south of the Digita Library), Riverside | Tonya.Huff@rcc.edu | (951) 222-8180
- Tequesquite Community Garden at Bonaminio Park | 5000 Tequesquite Avenue, Riverside | firstname.lastname@example.org | (951) 212-7229
- UC Riverside R’Garden | Martin Luther King Blvd (entry at Canyon Crest Drive, edge of parking lot 30), Riverside | rgarden.ucr.edu | (951) 827-4271
SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY
- Community Garden at Peace Lutheran | 280 E. Ontario Avenue, Corona | peacelutherancorona.org/communitygarden | Mike Bates, email@example.com | (951) 264-2757
- Highland’s Giving Garden | 3606 Atlantic Avenue, Highland | highlandsgivinggarden.org | firstname.lastname@example.org | (909) 518-5056
- Huerta Del Valle (2 locations) | 831 E. Belmont Street, Ontario | 7701 Mission Boulevard, Jurupa Valley | huertadelvalle.org | email@example.com | (909) 347-2860
- Incredible Edible Community Garden | 800 West Arrow Highway (inside Pacific Christian Center), Upland | iecgarden.org | Mary Petit, TheIECG@gmail.com | (941) 276-1150
- Pomona College Organic Farm | First Street and Mills Avenue, Claremont | farm.pomona.edu | firstname.lastname@example.org | (909) 607-8341
- Root 66 Community Garden | Root66garden.weebly.com | (909) 946-6092
ASTER GARDENERS, UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA COOPERATIVE EXTENSION
- Greater Riverside Area |ucanr.edu/sites/RiversideMG | email@example.com | Helpline: (951) 683-6491 Ext 231
- San Bernardino County Area | cesanbernardino.ucanr.edu | firstname.lastname@example.org | Helpline: (909) 387-2182
COMPOST, ORGANIC FERTILIZERS, AND REUSE
- Master Composters, Riverside County | Department of Waste Resources | rcwaste.org/composting/how | (951) 486-3200
- Burrtec | 1830 Agua Mansa Road, Riverside | burrtec.com/organic-and-food | (951) 786-0544 | Mulch, compost, wood chips, soil amendments.
- Jongs Organic Fertilizers | David Smith | David@jongs.com | (909) 809-2247
- We Compost | 280 E. Ontario Avenue, Corona | John Craig, email@example.com | (330) 703-4765 | Worms and castings, composting and vermicomposting demonstrations.
- Chino Basin Water Conservation District | 4594 San Bernardino Street, Montclair | cbwcd.org/197/Mulch-Giveaways | (909) 626-2711 | Free mulch and compost first and third Saturdays, 8:30 -11:30 am. No commercial landscapers.
- Riverside County Department of Waste Resources | rcwaste.org/composting/bins | rcwaste.org/vermicomposting | (951) 486-3200 | Vermicomposting classes and information. Free composting classes and low cost compost bins, also free DIY plans to build a bin
A Seed Library is a collaborative space for sharing seeds and keeping custody of traditional knowledge about saving seeds.
- San Bernardino County Seed Library | Chino Basin Water Conservation District | 4594 San Bernardino Street, Montclair, CA 91763 | cbwcd.org
- Riverside Seed Library | LandUse Learning Center | 4500 Glenwood Drive, Riverside, CA 92501 | riversidegardencouncil.org | Friday - Sunday 8 am - 5 pm | In Riverside, the public can borrow heirloom and heritage varieties to raise fruits, vegetables, flowers or herbs. Let some plants “go to seed,” then return what was borrowed to the library. Help cultivate local food security, build a clean and reproducible seed stock, create a common trust, and encourage gardening at any skill level.
Riverside-Corona Resource Conservation District | 4500 Glenwood Drive (at the corner of 14th Street), Building A, Riverside 92501 | rcrcd.org | (951) 683-7691 | Free educational materials and mini-grants for school gardens are provided to teachers, students, and homeschooling families who reside or work within the RCRCD. Order forms or call Extension 207. Visit the LandUse Learning Center to learn about sustainable land management.
- California Citrus State Historic Park | 9400 Dufferin Avenue (at Van Buren), Riverside | parks.ca.gov/?page_id=649 | (951) 780-6222 | The park and museum recapture the time when “Citrus was King”, and showcase the importance of the citrus industry in southern California.
- Inland Empire Resource Conservation District | 25864-K Business Center Drive, Redlands 92374 | iercd.org | (909) 799-7407 | Free soil testing for farmers, invasive species removal, urban ag support, conservation grants.
- 4-H Youth Development Program | Riverside Office: >21150 Box Springs Road, Suite 202, Moreno Valley 92557 | 4h.ucanr.edu | (951) 683-6491 Ext. 229 | Claudia Carrasco Diaz (951) 683-6491 Ext. 222
- Riverside Citizen Science | Facebook: Riverside Citizen Science | The mission of Riverside Citizen Science is to engage our community in observing and documenting Riverside's natural environment. The program will foster appreciation and stewardship through nature-centered activities. Science, through community participation and collaboration, becomes a permanent part of our city's culture and identity.
- Riverside Metropolitan Museum and Heritage House | riversideca.gov/museum
- Riverside Unified School District (RUSD) Nutrition Services | riversideunified.org/cms/one.aspx?portalId=580805&pageId=951630 | (951) 352-6740 | The RUSD Farm to School Program promotes healthy eating in children by increasing the availability of fruits and vegetables in school lunches. It also provides nutrition education to increase knowledge of, and improve attitudes toward eating a variety of locally grown produce.
- Environmental Education Collaborative | Riverside and San Bernardino Counties | enviroedcollaborative.com | Facebook: EE Collaborative
- UC Cooperative Extension, Master Gardener Training Program | Formal training and continuing education provided to volunteers who extend research-based horticultural information and sustainable gardening practices to the public.
- Riverside County Area | Rosa Olaiz | firstname.lastname@example.org | (951) 683-6491 Ext. 230
- San Bernardino County Area | Maggie O’Neill | email@example.com | (909) 387-2182
- Citrus Experiment Station | cnas.ucr.edu/about/history/ces.html
- California Foundation for Ag in the Classroom | learnaboutag.org
- Growing School Gardens | A professional learning and social network at: edweb.net/schoolgardens
- California School Garden Network | csgn.org/california
- National Gardening Association | garden.org
- Kids Gardening | kidsgardening.org
- School Gardens and Native Plants | cnps.org/cnps/grownative/school_gardens.php
- California Farm to School Program | CA Department of Education | cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/he/farmtoschool.asp
- Edible Schoolyard Project | edibleschoolyard.org | Connects educators around the world to build and share a K-12 edible education curriculum.
- City of Riverside Urban Gardens and Food Sustainability | riversideca.gov/it/gis/UrbanGardensFoodSustainability.asp | Interactive maps with information on the city’s agriculture, food systems, and other topics.
- Cal Baptist University Food Innovation Center | calbaptist.edu/programs/nutrition-and-food-sciences
- Cal Poly Pomona College of Agriculture | www.cpp.edu/~agri/departments/index.shtml
- Archi’s Institute for Sustainable Agriculture with Cal Poly Pomona | archisinstitute.com |
- Environmental Leadership Academy | csusm.edu/temecula/certificateprograms/eli/education_training/index.html | (760) 750-3020
- Riverside Community College Culinary Academy | rcc.edu/departments/careertech/appliedtech/Pages/Culinary.aspx
- RCC Urban Farm | Facebook Community Garden RCC | (951) 328-3663
- Pomona College Organic Farm | farm.pomona.edu | firstname.lastname@example.org | (909) 607-8341
- UCR Sustainability | sustainability.ucr.edu | email@example.com | (951) 827-6558
- University of California Global Food Initiative | universityofcalifornia.edu/global-food-initiative
- UCR California Agriculture and Food Enterprise (CAFE) | cafe.ucr.edu
FIELD: Empowering the underserved to become self-sufficient
The Farmworker Institute of Education and Leadership Development (FIELD) was established in 1978 by Cesar Chavez to address the educational needs of the United Farm Workers (UFW) and those in under-served areas of California. Today, FIELD programs include:
- An accredited charter high school with 30 locations in California, including Riverside
- An Environmental Conservation Corps that provides instruction in habitat restoration and recycling
- English as a Second Language (ESL) offered in partnership with several community colleges in California.
FIELD has been awarded a Career and Technical Education (CTE) grant through the California Department of Education that is funding development of programs in agriculture, alternative energy, environmental conservation, entrepreneurship and early childhood education. FIELD’s ag program will provide students with skills that are needed to become independent operators as farmers. www.farmworkerinstitute.org | (661) 822-4381.
SOLVE FOOD WASTE. SOLVE HUNGER.
Riverside Food Rescue is a program funded by CalRecycle that diverts perfectly edible food from being discarded to feeding the hungry. We are a network of local businesses, charities, and volunteers with a simple solution to food waste and community need.
Riverside Food Rescue | (951) 255-7161, (951) 290-7327 | Facebook: @RiversideFoodRescue
BE A CHANGE AGENT!
The Riverside Food Rescue and Waste Reduction Ambassador program is a free, 40 hour certificate program with industry guest speakers, field trips, and hands-on experience. Participants learn about:
- The Life Cycle of Food: From Cradle to Grave with a field trip to Burrtec’s Material Recovery Facility
- Powering Healthy Soils with Food Waste Compost with hands-on composting and vermicomposting (worm bins)
- Food Rescue and Waste Reduction at home
- Composting, Technology, and Energy.
For the second half of the program, Ambassadors complete 20 hours of community work over three months. Activities might include:
- Volunteering with Gleaners for Good
- Coordinating a neighborhood project
- Staffing GrowRIVERSIDE and other related events
- Volunteering at a food bank
- Presenting food rescue information to neighborhood groups and/or community organizations.
Food Ambassador Certification Program | Olivia Sanchez | OSanchez@riversideca.gov | (951) 351-6174.
Gleaners for Good | (951) 290-7327 | Are you a farmer or gardener with excess produce? Are you a resident who'd like to help "glean" this surplus for community benefit? Gleaners For Good coordinates volunteers to collect otherwise uneaten home- and farm-grown produce for redistribution by local food banks. We intend to raise lasting awareness of today's massive food waste, to promote local urban farming, and to help feed those in need.
- San Bernardino County Master Preservers | Helpline for help preserving fresh produce and food safety issues | (909) 387-2194
- Grist and Toll |990 S. Arroyo Parkway #1, Pasadena, CA 91105 | gristandtoll.com | firstname.lastname@example.org< | (626) 441-7400 | First urban flour mill in the greater LA area in over 100 years.
- Local Harvest | localharvest.org
- Farmers Markets and Direct-to-Consumer Marketing | ams.usda.gov/services/local-regional/farmers-markets-and-direct-consumer-marketing
- Local Food Directory | ams.usda.gov/services/local-regional/food-directories
- Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food Compass (KYF2) | usda.gov/media/blog/2012/02/29/introducing-knowyour-farmer-know-your-food-compass
- Inland Empire Brewers Guild | iebrewersguild.org | Promotes and supports local craft breweries.